+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Raise was to risky ?

Newb
    PZ Cash

Cool The Raise was to risky ?

Hi, I was cheking this hand and I know I raise because of the pocket queens, but does the raise was EV+, should I take that risk?, thanks for all your comments.

IPoker, $2 Buy-in (10/20 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 6 Players
    Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 920 (46 bb)
    BB: 1,050 (52.5 bb)
    UTG: 1,210 (60.5 bb)
    MP: 900 (45 bb)
    Hero (CO): 950 (47.5 bb)
    BTN: 970 (48.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q Q
    UTG raises to 40, MP folds, Hero raises to 80, BTN calls 80, 2 folds, UTG calls 40

Flop: (270) 5 4 7 (3 players)
    UTG bets 270, Hero raises to 540, BTN folds, UTG raises to 1,130 and is all-in, Hero calls 330 and is all-in

Turn: (2,010) 8 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
    River: (2,010) 9 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:[spoiler] 2,010 pot
    Final Board: 5 4 7 8 9
    UTG showed J 5 and lost (-950 net)
    Hero mucked Q Q and won 2,010 (1,060 net)
    BTN mucked and lost (-80 net)
    [/spoiler]

The villain was VPIP:78 PFR:56 after 9 hands.

PZ Cash
    Blog Entries
    I'd re-raise more pre-flop. That's really where the mistake mostly occurred. Based on this action and just his call, him leading screams small over pair, draw, top pair kind of hand, so getting it in here is +EV. You double up and are in a good spot to get to the final 3.
    The more you know, the less you need.

If you are afraid of death, you will never know life.

Newb
    PZ Cash
    Hi John, thanks for your comments. I want to ask you something because your answer generate a bigger doubt to me in this case.

He played J5s strongly on the flop because of the 4d7d, that gives him a flush draw(that's what I think).

If I Minraise(pre-flop) is because I consider that I have a strong hand and want to keep some players on the hand because they don't show strong hand signs, if I raise him pre-flop he drop it. What do you think ?, is this a fishy way to think ?

PZ Cash
    Blog Entries
    You want to get more value from your hand, and prevent others from coming into the hand from behind you. At this stage, with higher SPR's, people will look for more reasons to get involved in speculative hands. The easiest way to go bust in tournaments is to overplay a one pair hand, and not price out or isolate the weaker players. So if you raise to say 120-130, you probably ISO this guy heads up, and he'll still call (if he's min raising J5s, he probably isn't folding preflop).
    The more you know, the less you need.

If you are afraid of death, you will never know life.

Newb
    PZ Cash
    but I've intuitively known this since I first heard about it. I know some poker nerds did a paper on this fairly recently too. Maybe someone has a link, or I can dig one up.????

Newb
    PZ Cash
    This is a thing that I really need to improve in my game, bet sizing. I still get involved in large pots with marginal hands and miss some value in good opportunities.

PZ Cash
    I fully agree with John - raise more preflop. It's both for value and to isolate.

As played, I just shove instead of minraising. You minraised 540 with only 330 left? Just get it in, imo.

+ Reply to Thread